Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ryan Malone

Ryan Malone scored his second career hat trick last night. I briefly considered re-posting the Malone pic of the celebration of his first hat trick and doing a sort of Malone tributey thing. But I am going to blog about cupcakes instead.

According to Sanjay Gupta, cupcakes are seriously controversial right now. I'm sure if Anderson Cooper weren't out galavanting across Brazil with Jeff Corwin (I think they're in love - maybe this is their honeymoon) Anderson would have a full blown expose.

First segment would be in a grade school somewhere in the Bible Belt (sometimes I call it 'the Bubba Belt'). He would interview a sixth grader whose birthday just passed. A young man who had to bring cheese and crackers in to celebrate his new year with his classmates. While he explains his discovery that half of his class is lactose intollerant and the other half allergic to wheat or macrobiotic... they cut to a panning shot of the classroom where all the students are sitting quietly while teacher reads from what is likely a Beverly Cleary book.

Cut to an interview with a female student who tells the story of how she brought cupcakes in to celebrate her own birthday and was called to the principal's office. She had to call her mom and explain that cupcakes were no longer welcome in classrooms. Not just cupcakes, but all cakes: Snack cakes, ice cream cakes, Tastee Cakes, anything that has Little Debbie's face on it. Also puddings, caramel apple empanadas, and Pixie Stix. Consumption of cakes is limited to three celebrations a year at her school, and hers is not one of them.

Segment two takes us to Calgary, Alberta where a man in his thirties, donning a Calgary Flames cap (it all goes back around to hockey) is asked of what he thinks of the Great American Cupcake Ban. This labourer, who has worked for the Hostess/Frito Lay factory ever since way back when he got outta rehab, just giggles. "Southerners..." is all he can say. It doesn't say much for his intellegence but he's kinda cute so someone get his number.

http://poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=105986

I, for one believe in my heart of hearts that we, as Americans, have certain inalienable rights. These include life, liberty and the pusuit of buttercream frosting.

No comments: