Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Sense of Smell

They say the worse your vision, the more you rely on your other senses. Here is a list of a few of my favorite things to smell. In no particular order.

Dove original bar soap - It reminds me of my grandmother. And as much as it makes my skin more leathery than fruit rolls, I still buy it. I use it on my hands and keep it around for a little top secret aroma therapy. Yes, this is why I have that seldom used wrinkly bar of Dove in the bathroom.

Pine Sol - I am not sure why this is a favorite but I love it. If huffing it could get me high I would be in baaad shape. Since it's so hard to truly keep things tidy and clean during the winter, with not much sunlight and my vision getting worse and worse, I tend to spray a bit of it around so I can have the olfactory illusion of clean.

Sauteing Garlic – This is what it smells like to know that your mom is in the kitchen preparing the bests foods in the world… just for you.

Clorox Lemon Fresh Antibacterial Wipes - If you have not experienced these you need to stop reading this and put your coat on, get in the car and drive to the nearest Alberstons and pick some up. And smell them. I don't care if you buy them or not. People often look at me funny because I will spend some quality time in the cleanser and soap isles just getting in some aroma therapy time. If you get funny looks, just turn to the person and say "mmm smells like loooove."

Fresh Desert Sage – Another smell from my child and young adult hoods. Anyone who camps outside Southern California is familiar with this smell. As well, anyone who has ever been to a Dead show is familiar with the smell of it’s burning dried up kin. It’s the scent of laying naked under the stars and being wrapped in a warm blanket all at the same time - which is really confusing.

Fresh Brewed Coffee - The opposite of the smell of icky hippy feet.

Bad Smells (that I don't like): old cow milk, me on av meds, swamp coolers, desks that sit out in the rain too long, litter boxes.

No comments: